It is important to have coping skills so you can manage your trauma response whenever you get triggered again.
Here are some helpful ways to cope with PTSD and trauma triggers:
- Perform relaxation techniques, such as breathing exercises, muscle relaxation exercises, listening to soothing music, meditation, or going out and seeing nature.
- Find positive ways to temporarily distract yourself from the traumatic memories or the strong emotions that get triggered.
- Distract your triggers using your thoughts or try counting backwards from 1 to 100 or reciting the ABCs.
- Get active physically. Take a walk, dance around your bedroom or house, play your favorite sports, or do any other form of physical activity that will help you stay in the present.
- Always think about positive things or happy and calming thoughts.
We understand that life can be tough sometimes. That is why, as a provider of mental health care in California, we believe that you deserve to feel safe, happy, and healthy in your life. By using integrated therapies, we support you by helping you get back on track and reconnect with a sense of balance and well-being.
Here at Darling Psychology, we take a modern, integrated, strength-based, and “mental health first” approach to providing mental health care. Asking for help is never a sign of weakness. Instead, we consider it a brave act since you’ve finally dared to overcome your situation and look forward to a better future.
Talk to us through our telehealth in Huntington Beach, California so we can assess your situation right away and provide the right treatment or therapy for you.
Call us to learn more about our mental health services!
Leave a Reply